Sunday, May 25, 2008

Goals: 3 week report

How am I doing on all those lofty goals I set for myself when I first showed up in Rochester? Let's take a look.

1. Find a team I like.

This one has become kind of moot. There are no teams with women's squads in town, so I'll just stick with whoever I can find that will go on group rides with me. I've now emailed with two guys from the UofR team and they both seem enthusiastic and happy to ride, so I'll probably meet with them once they get back into town.

2. Lose some weight/fat

I didn't have a tape measure until yesterday, so let's consider this my baseline. Current measurements: Chest - 34.25, Waist - 30.5, Hips - 41.25, Thigh - 21.25
By publishing my measurements on a public blog maybe I can actually embarrass myself into making some progress. To make this goal more concrete, I want to lose an inch off my waist by the end of the summer.

3. Fix my diet

I'm quite happy with how I've done with this so far. The only pre-packaged thing I've eaten in the past three weeks has been mac and cheese, once. I'm eating produce like crazy, almost entirely whole grain breads and cereal, no sugary desserts, and so far it's working for me. I get occasional cravings for sweet stuff, but that is usually fixed by a piece of fruit or some jam on toast. I do eat my weekly doughnut on the way home from the grocery store, but I figure I deserve that.

4. Get back to regular lifting

Fail. Granted, I didn't have sneakers that I could use at the gym until last week, but still, I haven't even looked at the gym yet. I'm doing that on Tuesday.

5. Find a yoga class

There's one on Fridays at the medical center gym during a break between classes. If I can get myself signed up for the gym I will go this week.

6. Train smarter

I tried a little bit, it didn't work well. I think I should revise this goal to "ride at least three times each week" because I haven't even got that down yet.

7. Race as much as I can

I can race 10 Tuesdays for free (now that I've payed the club dues). After 10, it'll cost $1 each week. As long as I plan for Tuesdays to be a non-homework night, I should be able to do this. I might do an occasional weekend race too, but not until I can hold my own in the training races.

So, how did I do? I think I'm making progress. I've still got a long way to go, but at least I'm moving forward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.
Shakespeare.

You can do it.
Gm & GD