Wednesday, May 14, 2008

More progress, and a ride to Lake Ontario

Today I took Paris in to Full Moon Vista for his tune up. The mechanic there today was named Dave and he was incredibly friendly. We chatted about all kinds of stuff, and it turns out he's an RN and Respiratory Therapist, as well as a photographer and bike mechanic. Busy guy. Anyway, while he was checking out Paris I sat and drank a complimentary cup of coffee and listened to his stories about Rochester and his multiple jobs, etc. Then he'd send me off on a test ride, I'd come back and tell him what was still wrong and he'd continue wrenching and chatting. It was great.

In the midst of this, I met Shana, a very enthusiastic racer. She was encouraging and helpful and suggested that I show up to the race on Tuesday night to meet other women. There are no scheduled group rides, and not enough women on any given team for tactics to matter much in the races, so joining a team is becoming less of a priority. But, networking with the female racers in town will help me get in on impromptu rides and maybe carpooling to races.

Also while I was there, I talked a bit with Kyle, the mechanic who had worked on Johnny a couple days ago. He recognized me right away, even remembered my name, which was really nice. He helped me figure out the best route for my ride to the lake and back. Dave offered me the chance to ride with him and a friend or two that evening a 4pm, but I wanted to be back home in time to eat and go swing dancing tonight, so I politely declined. But, the invitation stands for every Tuesday and Wednesday around 4, so I'll try to join them soon if my class schedule allows it.

I'd now spent over an hour hanging out in the shop, so I finished my coffee and took off in the direction of Lake Ontario. The route Kyle gave me went through the park that contains the Seneca Park Zoo.


There was a pretty pond in the park, it looked like a nice place for a picnic. Be warned that most of these pictures were taken while I was riding, so they might not be the best quality.


After the zoo I crossed over the Genesee River on a fabulous bike/pedestrian only bridge. Portland could learn a thing or two about bike/ped bridges from Rochester. So far I've used two of them and they are wonderful.


The view from the bridge was pretty good too.


This is the path I took along the other side of the river.


The path becomes this really nifty boardwalk. I saw lots of fun wildlife along the boardwalk, including an older guy with a bike (and a beer can in his bottle cage) who asked me if I have a boyfriend. I said yes, and pedaled away.


Turtle
Swan
Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird


After the boardwalk and wildlife viewing, I continued along the river. There was a cool bridge, that I eventually went over.


Under the bridge I almost got attacked by a pair of geese protecting their adorable goslings.


I finally made it to Lake Ontario! There was a nice big park, and a nice beach, and a lot of water. There was also an ice cream place, so I'm sure the future holds many rides to the lake for ice cream this summer. It was a very overcast, Oregon kind of day. I'm sure on sunny days this place would be packed.


One last shot of downtown Rochester.

The ride home was uneventful. I did get to laugh at what Dave had called "a nice climb." It did make me drop me speed to single digits (because I was conserving energy), but it lasted maybe a tenth of a mile, at most. If that's what they call I climb out here, I might as well call myself a climber. For a few more pictures, and larger versions of the ones you've seen, click here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like you've moved to a nice city. Love the goslings. Keep posting! Especially the pics!