Monday, June 23, 2008

Back to the races

Bernie and I had a nice ride on Sunday. We were both tired, but it was clearly affecting me more than it affected him, since after an hour he was dropping me on all the hills. I was very well behaved and didn't kill myself to keep up, even though it was awfully tempting. Luckily for me Bernie was a gentleman about it and waited for me whenever necessary. We did about 2 hours at an average of 17mph. That's pretty fast for me while tired, so I'm happy with it.

I'm going to race tomorrow night. No excuses this time, the weather looks good and I've got the zipcar already booked. The only potential problem is the course will be the same one that I DNFed on last time I raced. So, I set my goals nice and low: Finish the race. I'm throwing in an additional bonus goal: Stay with the pack for at least 1 full lap. I think I'm getting better at realistic goal setting. Neil would be so proud.

I was feeling some pretty serious leg fatigue today while just riding to school, and my resting heart rate is up about 10bpm (OMG it's over 60!). That means that I haven't recovered enough from the long hours of riding this weekend. I calculated over 10 hours on the bike since Thursday evening. That's a lot for me right now, so I'm going to make sure to get a lot of sleep tonight and take it very easy on the way to school tomorrow. On that note, I'm going to go shower and head to bed. Good night!

No comments: